For cold winter nights, I like to have a nice hearty beef stew. Since I got back from France, I’ve been trying to feature a French recipe on my website. My Beef Bourguignon is a French recipe made popular by Julia Child. This recipe is enhanced by the rich taste of red wine.
- 2 pounds stewing beef
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups olive oil
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 cups red wine (I use Chianti)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup bacon
- 3 carrots sliced
- 1 can (2 cups) crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- Combine bacon, mushrooms and garlic to skillet over medium high heat. Put in the butter. Set aside
- Add beef to skillet and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes
- Transfer beef, bacon, mushrooms to a pot or slow cooker.
- Slowly add beef broth, wine and tomato paste. Allow it to simmer before adding carrots and potatoes
- Stir in cumin, rosemary, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 2 hours
- Season with salt and pepper
I have a feeling you’ll love this dish and the richness of the sauce. It’s the ultimate comfort food and a French classic!