Okay, it’s the holiday season and I thought I would try something new. I’ve never baked in my entire life and I must admit, I was scared out of my mind. I promised to bring Marzipan Shortbread to my office cookie exchange and I didn’t know how to make it. So I googled up the recipe and here it is. I’ve also added decadent chocolate sprinkled in crushed candy canes for a festive look. Hope you like it.
- 200g Marzipan or almond paste
- 4 cups of flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 bars of melted chocolate (you can choose mint, almond, white, or dark)
- 3 eggs
- crushed candy canes
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- Combine Marzipan, sugar, salt, vanilla extract, eggs, unsalted butter and cornstarch in mixing bowl. Blend with hand mixer. Slowly pour in the flour and mix until it becomes a huge ball of dough.
- Put in fridge for 30 minutes or more
- Take out the dough and roll out with flour on your rolling pin and board
- Cut out cookies with cookie cutters and place the cookies in a cookie tray lined with parchment paper
- Brush cookies with egg white for a golden finish
- Bake for 12 minutes and wait until the cookies are cooled
- Melt chocolate in microwave for 1 minute in a large bowl. Take chocolate out and stir it until it becomes creamy. Microwave again for 20 seconds.
- Dip the cookies in the chocolate and set aside. Sprinkle crushed candy cane on top while chocolate is still hot. Candy cane should stick to the cookie.
- Serve or take it to work the next day
These cookies are delicious. It’s light and buttery thanks to the cornstarch. I love the combination of the sweetness of the marzipan and the richness of the chocolate. This will be a big hit at any party.